18 Folly Field Road
A miniature golf course featuring 36 holes on two Caribbean-themed courses, plus an arcade.
ARTS CENTER OF COASTAL CAROLINA
14 Shelter Cove Lane
Located in the middle of Hilton Head Island, this 349-seat main stage house along with a smaller black box venue puts on professional and visual arts performances, as well as festivals and educational programs. From musicals to comedies and dramas, the arts center does it all and also brings in visiting performers. Stop by for an entertaining night that will enlighten you.
THE BARMUDA TRIANGLE
7 Greenwood Drive
Located just outside the Sea Pines gate, this grouping of popular bars and restaurants shares a courtyard, perfect for enjoying their late-night menus and entertainment.
BAYNARD PLANTATION RUINS
Baynard Cove Road (Sea Pines)
The ruins are all that’s left of the Baynard estate, which was built in 1793 by Capt. Jack Stoney and once included a main house and slave quarters. The buildings were made using timber and tabby, a mixture of oyster shells, lime and sand. William Edings Baynard acquired the property from the bank after the Stoney family declared bankruptcy in 1837. It was raided during the Civil War and used by Union forces for a headquarters, and burned down shortly after the Civil War.
BRADDOCK POINT AND COVE
South Sea Pines Drive (Sea Pines)
On the southern-most point of Hilton Head, at the junction of Calibogue Sound and the Atlantic Ocean, is Braddock Point. It was named after David Cutler Braddock, captain of South Carolina’s provincial galley, Beaufort, which was stationed in the cove.
BROAD CREEK MARINA
18 Simons Road
Offering watersport rentals, boat tours, a zip line course, a waterfront restaurant and an in-tree obstacle course.
COASTAL DISCOVERY MUSEUM
70 Honey Horn Drive
When in the Lowcountry, why not learn about the Lowcountry by stopping at the Coastal Discovery Museum? Bring the whole family and learn about the beauty, culture and history of the island. The museum is also home to the only original plantation house on the island and South Carolina’s largest Southern red cedar tree. Take a walk, sign up for a tour or program, and learn about what makes this island so special.
COLIGNY BEACH PARK
1 Coligny Circle
Water fountains, swings, changing areas, a boardwalk and the island’s most popular tiki bar. Across the street is Coligny Plaza, home to more than 60 shops and restaurants.
Beach City and Dillon roads
Built to protect a freed slave community, this fort was the last of the four built on Hilton Head Island during the Civil War. Located close to Hilton Head Island Airport, this fort served its purpose and then was of no use after the war; a century of hurricanes tore it down.
64 Skull Creek Drive (Hilton Head Plantation)
While today it may be an island all about luxury homes and resorts, Hilton Head was home to four military forts during the Civil War. Though the remains of Fort Mitchel are long gone, the history remains. Located off of Skull Creek Drive in the gated Hilton Head Plantation, visitors will need to get a pass to explore the remains of the fort. Fort Mitchel was rediscovered in the 1970s and was named after Gen. Ormsby M. Mitchel. It has been preserved even as the island has developed all around it.
149 Lighthouse Road (Sea Pines)
Home to a well-known symbol of Hilton Head, the iconic red-and-white striped lighthouse built by Charles Fraser in 1969. Harbour Town is home to a marina, shops and restaurants, and is family friendly with a park for children. It is also the site of the PGA Tour’s RBC Heritage Presented by Boeing golf tournament, which is televised each year attracting visitors from all over.
ISLAND RECREATION ASSOCIATION CENTER
20 Wilborn Road
Aquatics, youth athletics, youth programs, summer camps, adult athletics and more.
190 Greenwood Drive (Sea Pines)
Horseback riding and an awesome free animal farm. Bring carrots or apples and feed Harley the Clydesdale or the other horses.
900 William Hilton Parkway and 80 Pope Ave.
Three 18-hole miniature golf courses.
MAIN STREET THEATRE
3000 Main St.
Many performances are put on each year. The theater is also home to live music and other special events.
MAIN STREET VILLAGE
1500 Main St.
Shopping center with specialty boutiques, restaurants, health care services and a supermarket.
MITCHELVILLE FREEDOM PARK
229 Beach City Road
Built during the Civil War for freed and escaped slaves and named after Union Gen. Ormsby M. Mitchel, who created the town to allow the former slaves to govern themselves. The people created a community and built simple homes, a church and stores, and worked to provide education for their children. Many worked for the Union Army until it left the island, then many turned to the land.
NATIVE AMERICAN SHELL RING
Sea Pines Forest Preserve (Sea Pines)
The first inhabitants on the island were semi-nomadic Native Americans who lived about 4,000 years ago. The ring contains oyster, mussels and clamshells, as well as pieces of animal bones and antlers. It is one of only 20 shell rings remaining today. Since it was inhabited by the Native Americans, the area has been used for growing anything from rice, indigo, cotton, and has been used as hunting grounds and cutting down trees for timber.
NORTHRIDGE CINEMA 10
435 William Hilton Parkway
Luxury reclining seating with many screens showing the newest releases.
PALMETTO BAY MARINA
86 Helmsman Way
Sailing, fishing, parasailing, dining, shopping, watersport rentals and boat tours.
PARK PLAZA CINEMA
33 Office Park Road
The only movie theater on the island serving beer and wine.
PINCKNEY ISLAND NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE
Off of U.S. 278, just before the bridge to Hilton Head Island
Wildlife, photography, hiking, bicycling and fishing.
PIRATE’S ISLAND ADVENTURE GOLF
8 Marina Side Drive
Two 18-hole, pirate-themed courses.
SALTY DOG T-SHIRT FACTORY
67 Arrow Road
A full line of Salty Dog gear, without a trip to South Beach.
THE SANDBOX: AN INTERACTIVE CHILDREN’S MUSEUM
18A Pope Avenue
A children’s museum that offers plenty of activities for rainy days.
SEA PINES FOREST PRESERVE
Greenwood Drive (Sea Pines)
Hiking, fishing, picnicking and wildlife viewing opportunities abound in the 605-acre preserve. It’s also home to the Indian shell ring.
SEA PINES RACQUET CLUB
5 Lighthouse Lane (Sea Pines)
Featuring 23 clay courts under the direction of former U.S. Open champ Stan Smith.
SHELTER COVE HARBOUR AND MARINA
1 Harbourside Lane
Waterfront dining, shopping, live entertainment, watersport rentals, boat tours and jetpack.
SHELTER COVE TOWNE CENTRE
40 Shelter Cove Lane
Hilton Head’s newest shopping center, home to restaurants, specialty stores and the island’s largest grocery store.
SOUTH BEACH MARINA
232 South Sea Pines Drive (Sea Pines)
Restaurants, shopping and a tackle shop. Home to the South Beach Inn and the popular Salty Dog Cafe.
SOUTH BEACH RACQUET CLUB
230 South Sea Pines Drive (Sea Pines)
Pro shop, clubhouse, member lounge, hospitality deck and several tennis courts.
STONEY-BAYNARD TABBY RUINS
Baynard Ruins Park (Sea Pines)
The island holds a lot of history, and the Stoney-Baynard Tabby Ruins are just one aspect of it. The main house and slave quarters of the old Baynard estate are permanently preserved in Baynard Ruins Park. Built by Capt. Jack Stoney around 1793 and overlooking the Calibogue Sound at the south end of the island. During the Civil War, the house was raided and Union forces made it their headquarters until it was burned down shortly after the war.
TALBIRD LIVE OAK
Back gate, Hilton Head Plantation
Just inside the Hilton Head Plantation stands a tree with a heart-breaking story. In October 1781, during the Revolutionary War, a royal militia on Daukuskie Island was commanded to burn the homes of patriots from Beaufort to Savannah. The Taibird Plantation belonged to Lt. John Talbird, who was away at war while his wife — who was nine months pregnant — remained at home. Mary Ann Talbird’s brother-in-law was in charge of the burnings for the militia, and when he arrived at her door he refused to pass by without fulfilling his duty. However, he did allow Mary Ann to move all the household goods out of the house and put them under a live oak about 100 yards from the house. After watching her home burn to the ground, Mary Ann gave birth to a son the next day. The tree still stands today, keeping alive the history with it.
VAN DER MEER TENNIS CENTER
DeAllyon Drive and 116 Shipyard Drive
Featuring 17 hard courts, four covered and lighting at the DeAllyon location. There are 20 courts at the Shipyard location (13 Har-Tru and seven hard). Eight are lighted and three are indoor.
THE VILLAGE AT WEXFORD
1000 William Hilton Parkway
A collection of 30 upscale shopping, dining and pampering merchants. Most are locally owned.
ZION CHAPEL OF EASE AND CEMETERY
U.S. 278 and Mathews Drive
The Hilton Head Island Episcopal Church of Ease of St. Luke’s Parish was built in 1786 under the direction of Isaac Fripp and Capt. John Stoney. The chapel was consecrated in 1833. In 1834, the communion service, which is still in use, was imported from London. The chapel was abandoned and destroyed in 1868. Zion Cemetery, with the massive Baynard mausoleum built in 1846, marks the location of the Chapel of Ease.