Sights and serenity at the All Saints Episcopal Church Garden Tour.
Ten precious and private Edens are on display for your pleasure on May 17, the traditional third Saturday in May during the annual All Saints Episcopal Church Garden Tour, now in its 21st year. Since Hilton Head Island is described by some as “paradise,” it is only fitting that a church should invite you to experience so many versions of Eden.
This year’s tour ranges from Sea Pines to River Bend in the neighborhood of Sun City, with stops in between at Port Royal Plantation, Hilton Head Plantation and Spanish Pointe, off Spanish Wells Road. This year, gardens are grouped largely in the two areas of Sea Pines and Port Royal Plantations, making it easier and more efficient to navigate the entire tour. Gardens will be open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
No one will want to miss the mid-point stop at All Saints Church for lunch to pick up or eat in. Lunch, available from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. in the parish hall, is included in the price of the $25 tour ticket. The well-regarded nursery, the Garden Gate from Beaufort, will be on hand with a large selection of plants for you to take home to nurture and there will be a Q&A session between 12 and 2 p.m. by master gardener Robert Collins, owner of Outdoor Nursery and Garden Center on S.C. 170. This is in addition to the regular All Saints Garden Boutique and the Heavenly Confections bake sale, all comprising irresistible reasons to stop by. (Not to mention the immaculate facilities.) Start at either end of the tour and by about midday you will find yourself at the church at 3001 Meeting Street, just off Main Street, outside of Hilton Head Plantation.
Gardens are as follows, starting from the northernmost end. The map included on the ticket will help guide you.
- A Serene Shade Garden: The Szczepek/Mangold Residence, 110 Cutter Circle in the Riverbend neighborhood of Sun City.
- A Spanish Garden: The Stuckart Residence, 32 Spanish Pointe Drive, off Spanish Wells Road.
- A Walk in the Park: The Bass Residence, 9 Ribaut Drive, Hilton Head Plantation.
- A Southern Garden: The Peeples Residence, 4 Hartford Place, Port Royal Plantation.
- Garden by the Sea: The Prud’homme Residence, 131 Fort Walker Drive, Port Royal Plantation.
- A Seaside Garden: The Buchanan Residence, 22 N. Port Royal Drive, Port Royal Plantation.
- Court Yard and Casual Gardens: The Fountain Residence, 5 Audubon Place, Port Royal Plantation.
- A Charitable Community Garden, Heritage Farm: Greenwood and Plantation Drive, Sea Pines Plantation.
- A Beachside Treasure Store: The Blank Residence, 51 S. Beach Lagoon, Sea Pines Plantation.
- Islands of Color: The Steingraber Residence, 40 Gull Point Road, Sea Pines Plantation.
This year, all tour proceeds will be distributed among the following local organizations: Programs for Exceptional People, Bluffton Self Help Inc., Childrens’ Relief Fund, Hospice Care of the Lowcountry, Citizens Opposed to Domestic Abuse (CODA), and All Saints Preschool Scholarship Fund. Rosalie Van Dam, chair of the 2008 All Saints Garden Tour, pointed out, “This annual event allows citizens to tour some of the greatest gardens in our area while also helping many individuals and groups in need in our community.” Her statement reaffirms the tour’s theme, “Through the beauty of a garden, a gift to the community.”
In addition, a silent auction of 21 of the garden paintings from the Tour’s poster art competition will take place through May 17, during which the paintings will be on display during normal office hours at All Saints Church.
May the Edens of Hilton Head inspire you to create your very own!
On Hilton Head Island: Nell’s Harbour Shop, Harbour Town; Audubon Nature Store, Wexford; Pretty Papers, Wexford; Le Cookery, Wexford; Stephens Pharmacy, Marshland Road; Burke’s Pharmacy, Main Street Village; ArtWare, Inc., Main Street Village; Christie’s Hallmark, Indigo Run; The Greenery, 960 William Hilton Parkway.
In Bluffton: Christie’s Hallmark, 97 Belfair Town Center; The Greenery, 1117 Fording Island Road; Sunshine Nursery, 38 Plantation Park Drive.
Tickets are also available at church and at garden locations on day of tour. For more information, call All Saints Church at (843) 681-8333.