At 78 Cumberland Drive in Belfair, fun is paramount. The Bluffton home of Bob Willis and Nancy Winslow was built with an eye on entertaining and enjoying the panoramic views of nature.
The interior and furnishings of the year-and-a-half-old residence were designed by Dean Huntley of Plantation Interiors, who, early in the construction process, became part of an intimate team that worked closely with the owners and contractors.
“I assisted with the view lines, interior design, cabinets, floorings, plumbing and electrical, and then I furnished it. I was fired several times, but always with love,” Huntley joked.
Photography / Rob Kaufman
Willis and Winslow, who split their time between Maine and Belfair, make it clear to visitors entering the house that entertainment is in the cards. The front door opens into an awesome atrium and lanai that features stone set in sand, a waterfall, a 72-inch TV and a swimming pool. If a dip in the pool isn’t in the day’s plans, the atrium offers a clear point of view to a large great room, which comes complete with game table, cocktail bar, oversized sofas, cushy chairs and digital player baby grand piano. (The piano makes it easy for you: If you can’t tickle the ivories yourself, just plug in your iPod and let it take over your favorite tunes.)
The 5,500-square-foot, three-bedroom, 4.5-bath home is on Belfair’s golf course, but it offers unspoiled nature views that are simply spectacular, Huntley said.
The home also features two additional bedrooms in a connected above-garage suite, a library, study, reading nook, air-conditioned garage (where Willis keeps his workshop) and plenty of artwork that’s designed to accent the home’s calm vibe.
“I love the neutral interior; it allows for an appreciation of the nature outside, but there are lots of spicy colors and bittersweet reds,” Huntley said.
Sea Pines founder Charles Fraser launched Plantation Interiors as Sea Pines Interiors in 1972. Current owner Dudley King purchased the firm in 1983.
- Interior Design and Furnishings: Dean Huntley, Plantation Interiors
- Architect: Scott Sodemann
- Building contractor: Chris VanGeison, VanGeison Construction
- Pool: Year Round Pool
- Landscaping: Island Environments
- Indoor Stone, Tile, Granite: Stoneworks
- Electrician: Lou Boni
- Lighting Fixtures (except entry foyer): Hagemeyer
- Rock crystal/quartz light fixture in foyer: Visual Comfort (Plantation Interiors)
- AV systems: Daniel Willis, AV Technik
- Entry door systems: Grayco
- Custom area rugs: Fine Rugs of Charleston & Culver Rug
- Other area rugs: Pars Oriental
- Artwork in great room: Original works by D. Smith and Pardue (JCostello Gallery) and framed by Picture This (Mira Scott)
- Window Treatments: Designed by Dean Huntley, fabricated by Carolina Window
- Lanai furniture: Summer Classics (Plantation Interiors)
- Game table and chairs in great room: Maitland Smith
- Woven Chairs in great room: Henredon
- Custom cocktail table in great room: Charleston Forge