It’s May, the merry month, and what merrier way to celebrate its arrival than to stroll the garden paths of some special private spaces on Hilton Head and neighboring Bluffton?
All proceeds, as usual, go to charity and reflect the tour’s motto, “Through the Beauty of a Garden, a Gift to the Community.” Beneficiaries for 2010 include Lowcountry Legal Aid, Osprey Village, Inc., which provides a residential community for intellectually challenged and developmentally disabled adults, and All Saints Preschool Scholarship Fund.
This is the perfect time and opportunity to witness firsthand what experienced gardeners have achieved in our somewhat fickle Lowcountry climate. Since most of them are transplants themselves from Northern gardens, they have learned the hard way — the only way — to succeed and flourish in an entirely new environment.
Gardens this year, ranging from Palmetto Dunes to Bluffton, include:
The Palmetto Sunshine – Ocean Breeze Garden, Thomas residence, 28 Full Sweep, Palmetto Dunes
- A Summer Place Garden, Marianne Snyder residence, 12 Pearl Reef Lane, Hilton Head Plantation
- A Colorful Reflection Garden, Annemarie Kinsky residence, 65 Headlands Drive, Hilton Head Plantation
- A Tranquility Garden Circling Vintage Live Oaks, Matt and Barb Gates residence, 87 Oak Tree Road, Colleton River Plantation, Bluffton
- A Magnificent New Garden With a River View, Andy and Pam Arway residence, 91 Inverness Drive, Colleton River Plantation, Bluffton
- The Maye River Art League Garden, A small sculpture and certified wildlife garden in historic downtown Bluffton, 37 Calhoun St., Bluffton, Joyce Nagel and Marci Tressel
Tickets will be available at the church, 3001 Meeting St., off Main Street, 681-8333, on the day of the event as well as at the following local outlets: On Hilton Head: Nell’s Harbour Shop, Harbourtown; Audubon Nature Store, Wexford Village; Le Cookery, Wexford Village; Pretty Papers, Wexford Village; The Greenery, 960 William Hilton Parkway; Stephens Pharmacy, Pineland Station; Burke’s Pharmacy, Main Street Village; Art Ware, Main Street Village; Christie’s Hallmark, Festival Center. In Bluffton at Christie’s Hallmark, Belfair Towne Center; Green Thumb Nursery, U.S. 278; Markel’s Card and Gift Shop, Kittie’s Crossing Center; Garden Gate Nursery, 2 State of Mind St.; Sunshine Nursery, 38 Plantation Park Drive.
A special premier garden party to honor the garden hosts will take place on May 2 at the sumptuous garden of John and Sharon Summerall in Okatie.
Come see, stroll, learn and above all, enjoy. It’s May time!